Tuesday, June 18, 2013

My 40 Year Old Rant

-->
40.  Today I turned 40 years old.  I have not written on this blog in quite some time but I felt like today was a chance to write a few thoughts I have on this occasion.  GQ Magazine often has a page where they ask some hot shot celebrity to write what they have learned.  I am neither a hot shot nor a celebrity.  But I am going to do this anyway. 

1.     On June 18th every year,  my Mother tells people "this time in 1973 I was in labor".  She laughs and complains at the same time.  My father nods his head.   This all used to annoy me.  The older I get the happier I am to witness this predictable event.
2.     “It is better to be lucky than good” is a phrase that is only half right.  The important part is to realize when the luck is happening and to make the most of it.  (That’s how I knew to harass my wife until she would go out with me.)
3.     Don’t play “Feels So Good” unless you are by yourself, where no one can hear you.*
4.     My Grandfather loved to give people who dialed the wrong number a hard time.  I love to give telemarketers a hard time.  I guess it’s in the genes.
5.     Every musician should watch the first three Rocky movies.  Rocky knew how to take a punch and get up and take another one.  He knew how to fight. 
6.     Rocky also had Apollo Creed in his corner to talk some sense into him sometimes.  We all need an Apollo Creed.  I have several Apollo Creeds.
7.     I like to practice.   A good day of practice makes me feel much more relaxed than a day at the beach.
8.     When your heroes become your friends, that’s a cool thing.
9.     When I find something I really like, I stick with it.  I like a 1C Mouthpiece.  I like my pizza to have pepperoni, green pepper and onions.  I like Sam Adams.
10. I am a religious person.  How someone can hear Maurice Andre play Bach, Thomas Hampson sing Copland, hear Daniel Barenboim play Beethoven and not believe that there is a good Lord above us mystifies me.
11. I never regret listening to Bach and Clifford Brown.
12. It’s important to practice early in the morning before someone or something upsets you.  Dominic Spera taught me that.  Of course he said it with a lot more character.*
13.  Until my daughter was in kindergarten I had not skipped in over 30 years.  Now I do it every time she wants. 
14.   One thing I will never experience that I wish I could is a walk off home run.  That must feel great.
15. John Wooden is/was the best teacher I will never meet.
16.  Tim McCarver is probably a really nice guy.  I still think he is full of it.
17.   I am glad I grew up without the internet.
18.   Wayne Tanabi is really that good.*
19.   Quality of life is more important than quality of gig. 
20.   In general I think time travel is a bad idea.  But I have a feeling if it were possible there is a TV executive out there who wishes he didn’t sign off on Nancy Grace having a television show.
21.   I really like Bruckner. There I said it.
22.   Once you go Mac, you never go back.
23.   Honest and intelligent criticism is a gift.  So is honest and intelligent praise.
24.   I have really smart kids.  I will never brag about this in the form of a bumper sticker.
25.   In general, I am not into violence, but I like boxing. 
26.   If I could be someone else for a day, I would be Derek Jeter.  And anyone who says they would not want to be someone else for a day is not telling the truth.
27.   I have never been that into George Carlin.  Just never was.  Too Cynical.  And I’m not into Larry “The Cable Guy”.  I don’t like to celebrate double negatives.
28.   I think the Confederate Flag is offensive. 
29.   I think the hardest part about playing the trumpet is forgetting how to do it.*
30.   Adding sugar to tea that is already made makes no sense.  

*=Trumpet Humor, my apologies.

No comments:

Post a Comment